How can I import my car from Japan? Japan is one of the most popular destinations for buyers to import vehicles into the UK.
This is possibly because of its reputation for high quality cars and unique models you can’t find anywhere else.
If you are looking to buy a Japanese car and import a car into the UK Trans Global Logistics UK Limited is here to help you! Please see this small guide covering most of the important things you need to know about how to import a car from Japan to the UK as it’s a process that will be new to most people, so it’s useful to have some information on the procedures and paperwork.
First important things is that you find a vehicle and make the purchase. If you live in Japan or can take a trip there, you’ll be able to visit dealerships, car auctions or private sellers in person.
This is important, as you’ll need to physically inspect the car (and perhaps take a test drive) before buying.
If you’re based in the UK and can’t get over to Japan, see if you can find someone to check out the car in person before you commit to the purchase. We can help you as we have a trusted partner in JAPAN that can make a visit to your vehicle before purchasing.
You’ll also need to be very careful of scams if you’re buying a car in another country – or making any large purchase, for that matter. Do your homework on the seller, to make sure they’re legitimate.
You should also make sure to read the small print and uncover any hidden fees before sending over funds.
Pros and cons to import my car from Japan.
Let’s start by looking at why you might want to import a car from Japan in the first place, rather than buying it in the UK. We’ll also run through any potential pitfalls you need to look out for.
Pros to import my car from Japan
- It could be cheaper than UK equivalents, even after factoring in shipping costs.
- Access to unusual or exotic models you can’t find here in the UK.
- Cars that are built to a higher or custom spec compared to UK versions.
- The chance to skip the queues for sought-after models, where there may be a waiting list in the UK.
Cons to import my car from Japan.
- Cars manufactured in Japan (and not designed for the UK market) aren’t built to the same specification as UK and European cars. So, modification and/or testing may be required. This can add to the cost.
- It can cost a lot in taxes and customs duties.
- The hassle – there’s a certain amount of inconvenience and paperwork involved in importing a vehicle into the UK from outside Europe.
- There’s a chance your car insurance premiums may be higher with an imported vehicle.
- Repairs, parts, servicing, and maintenance might be difficult, especially if you have a rarer model.
Can I import my car and register a car from Japan to the UK?
Yes, you can import a car from Japan, but there are some rules you should be aware of before starting the process.
Environmental regulations: Firstly, you’ll need to make sure the vehicle you’re importing meets the UK’s environmental and safety regulations.
For any vehicle not registered in the EU, you’ll need to apply to the DVLA for Individual Vehicle Approval (IVA). There are some exemptions to this rule, such as for some vehicles manufactured over 10 years ago. You can check the list of exemptions here, to see if any apply in your case :
- Find a vehicle and make the purchase.
- Call a car shipping specialist such a trans Global Logistics UK Limited
- Get the vehicle paperwork in line with the requirements.
- Register your imported vehicle using our dedicated services in Import and Registration
- Prepare your vehicle for UK roads – Trans Global Logistics UK can help in all modifications.
- When the time comes to make a payment, make sure to use a secure service to transfer your money.
Trans Global Logistics UK Limited can offer you the full support in import my car services that are relevant and checked with our partners in JAPAN; Trans Global Logistics UK Limited will be able to look after all process from the Sourcing to the Export from Japan /to the import in to the UK / Registration of the vehicle in the UK finding the best vehicle transport delivery to your door.
Contact Trans Global Logistics UK Limited and check our services via our website: www.tglok.co.uk